D. Art Kewin, M.A.(Psych.), J.D., CFP, CDFA
Education and Bar Admission:
- 1974 Bachelor of Arts, Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario, Canada
- 1975 Commissioned Officer, NZ Army
- 1978 Master of Arts, (Honors) Psychology, Massey University, New Zealand
- 1982 Juris Doctor, (Law) Windsor University, Ontario, Canada
- 1983 Admitted to the British Columbia Law Society as a Barrister and Solicitor
- 1986 Inns of Court, British Columbia
- 1986 Certified Family Law Mediator, Law Society of BC
- 1990 Arbitrator, BC Mediation & Arbitration Institute
- 2000 Certified Financial Planner (www.fpsc.ca)
- 2001 Certified Divorce Specialist (www.institutedfa.com)
- 2006 Collaborative Lawyer Designation
- Rotary International, Semiahmoo Club
- New Zealand Psychological Society, Certified Psychometrist
- NZ Army, (Captain, Rtd. 1978, RNZAEC)
- Law Society of British Columbia
- BC Mediation & Arbitration Society
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC
- The Inns of Court
- Chamber of Commerce
- Canadian Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors (Advocis)
- Canadian Bar Association (Past President FV)
- Financial Planners Standards Council
- College of Divorce Specialists
- Institute of Divorce Financial Analysts
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Art Kewin is senior counsel at Integrated Legal & Financial Solutions, a unique Canadian firm that offers both legal and financial planning services when the law and personal finances converge: life transition planning. Specifically, the life transitions of:
a. entering or leaving a spousal relationship, or
b. retirement and estate planning while in a blended family.
The key benefits of integrating legal and financial advice are:
a. expert advice about legal options that make financial sense, and
b. savings in professional fees and taxes.
Art is a senior matrimonial lawyer and a Certified Financial Planner. He litigated business and matrimonial cases for 18 years. Since 2000 Art has exclusively offered Alternative Dispute Resolution services as a mediator, arbitrator and collaborative lawyer. Notably, in 2013 British Columbia family law has been updated to recommend these preferred settlement options be prioritized in family dispute cases. Art has been offering Alternative Dispute Resolution services since 1986.
Before practicing law Art served in the New Zealand Army, Captain (Rtd), as military psychologist.
Art, his spouse Ruth Kewin a Life & Divorce Coach at www.DivorceRoadMap.com, and their son share their passions for snowboarding and bicycling together for fitness and adventure. However motorcycling – around the continent on tarmac and along logging roads of the Pacific Northwest – remains his own irrational exuberance.
What exactly are the benefits of integrated legal and financial services?
Here is a sampling of what real clients have to say:
- “The Top 3 Reasons to Hire Art Kewin for Your Divorce:
a. Art listened and asked pertinent questions to keep our conversation on track.
b. He inspired my trust through his honesty and his mastery of the law and finance.
c. He offered options for me to consider. I feel I will have control going forward.”
V. W., June 2010, Professional Editor
- “I was referred to Art through a friend of mine and found his advise extremely helpful…Art was able to explain things in a very down to earth way. I have a complicated legal issue to resolve and his advise helped me to navigate through the steps I need to take. He assisted me in seeing the realness of the situation as well as the emotional aspects that were also in play for me.
- His view point is unique because of his diverse experience and having professional background in psychology, law and finance. He was candid and very honest with me, which I appreciated because his advise came from a perspective which was extremely professional.”
K. B. March 2010, Design Business Owner
- “Firstly, YESTERDAY WAS AWESOME… informative, calming, confidence building, and forward thinking.”
S. M., 19 August 2009, Business owner seeking a divorce without destroying the family business.
- “I am writing to you to say a huge ‘Thank You’ for your help and advice on my recent divorce. You have literally saved me tens of thousands of dollars in extra legal fees and court costs. Your keen insight and timely advice also has helped through the emotional nightmare of my divorce. Thank you again and I will certainly recommend you to anyone I know who finds themselves in a divorce situation.”
S.G. Life Insurance Salesperson.
- “You were the most prepared lawyer and you understood the issues better than the others.”
Q. T. Physician.
Client debriefing after a successful complex mediation involving three senior counsel and a prominent mediator.
- “I know it seems like a conflict of interest because you did the Integrated Wealth Strategy Plan for my professional practice and investments, but S. (spouse) and I both trust you. Will you mediate our divorce.”
D.G. Accountant in public practice partnership.
For more about what real clients say, contact Art at Counsel@DivorceRoadMap.com
CFP and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER are certification trademarks owned outside the U.S. by Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd. (FPSB). Financial Planning Standards Council is the marks licensing authority for the CFP marks in Canada, through agreement with FPSB. www.fpsc.ca