Carol obtained her law degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1987. She has practiced law in the New Westminster area for 20 years. Her special interest is in Family Law. Carol has experience at all levels of court, including the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. She has extensive experience in complex family matters, including property division, maintenance, and custody and access disputes.
Carol is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and has been a Bencher since 2004. Carol is currently the chair of the Family Law Task Force and the “Unbundling” Task Force of the Law Society of B.C.
Carol’s practice is primarily in the area of family, and she is also a family law mediator. Carol has also taken the advanced mediation in 2001, as well as the collaborative law training in Jaunuary, 2001. Carol has been a member of the Vancouver Collaborative Divorce Group since 2001 and is one of the pioneering members of the Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland. Carol has been an instructor for Coninuing Legal Education on several occasions including the Family Law Conference in 2001 and 2003. Carol made a significant contribution and co-authored the 2005 Family Law Deskbook.
Seperation and divorce can be extremely stressful on the parties and the children of the relationship. Carol enjoys assisting the parties in resolving their disputes and finding a positive solution.
In her community, Carol is actively involved in fund-raising to support research and to try and find a cure for breast cancer. Carol has participated in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer, a 60 kilometer walk, which Carol has done since 2004. Carol has also participated in the Run for the Cure, as well as the Vancouver Sun Run.
Carol W. Hickman,BA, LLB
Education and Bar Admission:
- LL.B: University of Saskatchewan, 1987
- Advanced Mediation Training: 2001
- Collaborative Law Training: 2001
- Called to the Bar: British Columbia, 1988
- Received Law Degree in 1987
- University of Alberta – 1983 1987
- Concordia College – 1982-1983
- Bencher, Law Society of British Columbia
- Chairperson, Family Law Task Force and the Unbundling Legal Services Task Force of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Vice-chairperson, Unauthorized Practice Committee of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Credentials Committee of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Former Chairperson and Program coordinator of the New Westminster Family Subsection
- Member, Westminster Family Subsection Report on BC Justice Review Task Force
- Chair and Member of the Collaborative Family Law Group serving the Lower Mainland
- Member of the Vancouver Collaborative Law Group
- Member of the New Westminster Family Law Subsection
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Frequent Contributor and lectuerer for Continuing Legal Education