I practice primarily in family law and my office is in Surrey, B.C. I represent clients from all areas of the lower mainland, Vancouver Island and areas farther afield. I am a partner at Peterson Stark Scott, where I have worked since articling in 1995. Prior to practicing law, I worked as a registered nurse and also did some teaching at the Justice Institute. This background provides me with the caring and compassion that is often helpful in working through family law issues.
With my education as a family law mediator and collaborative family lawyer, I am able to offer clients an option to the emotional and financial cost of litigation. I have vast experience in negotiated settlements involving parenting of children, division of property and debts, and maintenance issues.
I have extensive experience with the Provincial and Supreme Court systems. I have been involved as legal counsel for the Family Maintenance Program in Surrey since 1995 and receive appointments from the B.C. Ministry of Justice to represent children in care in both criminal and family matters.
Despite my vast experience with the court system, I have found the most satisfying cases for clients to be those where the individuals are able to sit down and negotiate a settlement on their own terms. I take great pride in assisting my clients through this process, which is the basis for collaborative law.
Trudy Macdonald, LLB
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Collaborative Family Law
- Family Law Mediation
- Hear the Child Reports
- Hear the Child Roster
- Family Law Mediation Accreditation
- Collaborative Separation & Divorce Training
- Bachelor of Laws (UBC) 1993
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (UVic) 1990
- Registered Nurse (RJH) 1979
- Collaborative Divorce Vancouver
- Canadian Bar Association – New Westminster Family Law subsection
- New Westminster Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- College of Registered Nurses of B.C. (non-practicing)
- Volunteer at Western Canada Society for Access Justice probono clinics
- Vice-President: Delta Deas Rowing Club
- Former Executive and Hall of Fame member: North Delta Baseball